Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Grilled endives with ribeye, and a special night

This is a special post for a few reasons...
1. Amy's birthday month continues and this a special dish for her.

2. We've wanted to cook endives for over 9 years and never got around to it.

3. Both of the main ingredients were on sale at Fresh Market in Normal IL and the wine (2007 Napa Cellars Zinfandel) was on sale at Wine.com I'll get right to it, all three suprisingly exceeded expectations! Have a look at the wine and let me know if you want to order some (I paid for free shipping for the year and am glad to order some with my loyal followers).

4. We are just back to Normal after a nice little summer break so this was a perfect opportunity for food, fun, and fire.

Endives: slice down the middle, the long way. Drizzle the sliced side with olive oil, then hit it with a nice layer of salt and fresh ground pepper. Don't be shy with the pepper and go coarse!

Grill the endives "sliced" side down over indirect medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side. I went for 10 minutes total tonight and I think that was plenty and they might have had more flavor if less cooked.

Note... When the endives are half done, get the ribeye on the grill. Like our other weeknight steak adventures, again this time we cut them horizontally for smaller/thinner steaks. See my other posting for espresso rubbed ribeye. The espresso rub would have knocked this meal out of the park but I went more conservative with just coarse pepper, coarse sea salt, garlic, and olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment